Friday, August 8, 2014

Five For Friday - A Bunch of School Crafts, Comics, and Bow Ties

 photo b5ad6761-3857-4b41-882a-56f5616ff8d7.jpg

Another week has come and gone which means it is time for another Five For Friday. As always, I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching. Be sure to swing by there to see what some other awesome teacher-bloggers have been up to this week.

 photo Divider-1_thumb5_thumb3.png

I think the fact that school is just around the corner has caused me to get a bit "crafty." I have a confession to make, however. I hate doing crafts and making projects. I shared this information with my wife and her response was, "And why are you an elementary school teacher?" That being said, I made a few things this week to get me ready for the upcoming school year. First off, I made some pencil cans. I took some old fruit cans and wrapped them in duck tape. I think I got the idea on Pinterest or somewhere like that. Here are the originals and the final product.

 photo 0bde09d0-db77-4282-8315-f126c572ebd0.jpg photo a45699b9-6262-49b6-87f7-203cc1de67f2.jpg

 photo Divider-2_thumb4_thumb2.png

The second product I made was a multiplication math fact center. Again, I think I saw this on Pinterest (I really need to write these things down), so if this was your idea, I apologize for not being able to give appropriate credit. Anyway, the activity involves using an egg carton to create math facts. Inside the egg carton, I wrote the numbers 1-12. I put some duck tape across the openings and painted the tops and bottom. The students will put two markers inside the carton and shake it. After opening the egg carton, the student will multiply the two factors together. Here are the pictures I took:

 photo d89bb967-37df-43e6-904b-c48193489ea7.jpg photo c2ac7bdf-edf8-4aed-8953-2d985e122c81.jpg
 photo dc7b0248-ad81-4eb2-b803-8f459e130f9b.jpg

 photo Divider-3_thumb4_thumb2.png

Another thing that I worked on this week was finishing up some bow ties. I wear bow ties every day to school and a few months ago, I started sewing my own. I'm still learning to make them look good and some are better than others.

 photo 3bd97462-6a04-4d49-9448-aedfd7718538.jpg

 photo Divider-4_thumb7_thumb2.png

I'm probably the only one who cares about this, but about a week ago, I was able to get a month's subscription to Marvel Unlimited, an online comic book collection. I've spent a bunch of time going back and reading old Marvel Comics, especially a set of stories called "Planet Hulk" and the old Frank Miller Daredevil comics. Some of you may recognize the name Frank Miller as the director of the movie Sin City. I've never seen it, but I hear it's good.

 photo Divider-5_thumb5_thumb2.png

The last thing is that this is the beginning of my last week of summer vacation. It is shaping up to be a busy one, beginning with a doctor's appointment. This appointment was rescheduled from an appointment I was supposed to have in April. My wife has been bugging me to go to the doctor for a check-up, especially now that we have five kids. I am very excited about the beginning of the school year. Each new year is a new adventure and I am ready to get this one started.

Thanks for checking in from another week. I hope you all ready for the fun to start. Those kids are coming soon, if they aren't with you already.

No comments :

Post a Comment